STAR*BRIAN STAR*BRIAN: My Take on Harry Potter "6" *

Talking points on current events

Saturday, July 16, 2005

My Take on Harry Potter "6"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Let me start by saying I've never read the books. I have seen the first movie.

With all of the buzz and hysteria surrounding last night's release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, it got me thinking.

I do work for one of those large book retailers out there, so I see first hand all of the security involved in the sale of the books. Can't imagine how bookstores sell it early knowing you face serious fines. I also see the anticipation on fans faces as they wait, with ticket in hand, for the clock to strike 12:01am.

I think it's fun to see so many people enjoying the books. People were dressed up as characters, ghosts, witches, and just about anything else as it has become a sort of holiday. Stores were, and will be today, chaotic with customers waiting in long lines. I think our last customer paid at about 1:50am est.

You can buy it almost anywhere. Bookstores, grocery stores, online, and even in Canada they sell a "green" version. On 100% recycled paper.

Sure there are those that say it costs too much. There's also witch craft, and the stories are getting darker. But I look at it a little differently.

In an era where we have Playstation, X-Box, High Speed Internet, and hundreds of cable channels, isn't nice to see kids, and adults, rushing out to..... read a book?

I think it is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...it's great to see so many adults and kids excited for books to be released. It was a lot of fun last night to see all the people turn out for the party. But all I have to say is I survived Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

9:25 PM

 
Blogger Mrs. Sara said...

I've read all the books except for #6. I think they're fantastic stories... entertaining if not scholarly. They're a good break from real life. Though I probably wouldn't let a very young child read them (if I had kids), I definitely would an older child provided we had an open dialogue about the books after they were finished.

10:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home