STAR*BRIAN STAR*BRIAN: What June 11th Would Have Been *

Talking points on current events

Thursday, June 09, 2005

What June 11th Would Have Been

In January my Dad was killed by the coldest mystery; suicide. He would have been 56 on the 11th.

Even though reports suggest more adult Americans are taking medications to help with depression, a recent report notes that there has been no drop in suicidal tendencies.

One of the leading causes of death in the world, suicide is still a taboo subject. The World Heath Organization and the U.S. Surgeon General are increasing the amount of studies on the subject with the hope of understanding the sad trend.

Surveys from 1990-1992 and 2001-2003 of more than 9,000 people ages 18-54 showed that treatment is up. In the first survey, 40% of those with suicidal tendencies got treatment. In the 2001-2003 survey that number jumped to almost 93%. But the attempts, and sadly the success of those thoughts, has not declined.

The reason for feeling suicidal is as varied as it's victims. While chemical imbalances in the brain causing depression can be treated with common anti-depressant drugs, the feeling of desperation cannot. When someone feels so low that they do not even think about the impact of the act of killing themselves, they are almost already gone.

It's time for adults of all ages to address this issue and stop treating it as taboo.

If you, or someone you know, are having difficult times and feel no one is there, I urge you to reach out to someone you trust. Talk, cry, scream. There is always hope. And, there is no shame in asking for help.

For more information or help:
www.suicide-helplines.org or http://suicidehotlines.com, in the U.S. you can call: 1 800 784-2433

3 Comments:

Blogger profmarcus said...

your story touched me... i am 57 and have struggled with depression all of my life... i have also spent a great deal of time thinking about suicide as the mental and emotional pain has sometimes been almost too much to tolerate... what has kept me from it is this - three wonderful children and now two young grandsons but, truthfully, at times that wouldn't have been enough... more than anything else, i have chosen to stick around because i want to see my life through to the end... i obviously still have work to do here and i might as well get on with it...

bless you, however, and know that at least someone has at least a vague idea of what you are dealing with...

8:29 PM

 
Blogger profmarcus said...

thanks for your comment on my comment... :) i can't imagine how my kids would feel had i taken that road... it appears you're facing up to it and working hard to move on altho' i am sure that no matter how much "moving on" you do, your life is now irretreviably changed... again, bless you...

9:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What evil is this that hungers to feed on the human soul? No matter the medication, the counseling, the pursuit and achievement of our deepest dreams, this beast still hunts the suicical. Forget the circle of friends. Within all of their love, prayers and concern, they aren't there in the midst of another night of Chronic Insomnia, when the torment slips into the bedroom. Not there when you know that the handgun, kept in case of burglars, is buried only six inches from your head below the mattress.
My friends, if you have struggled with longtime temptations of suicide, then you have been targeted by Evil itself. You must believe that your role, though maybe impossible to see right now, is imperitive here on earth!

I have no answers. But every day that I try is a success. My family suffers alongside me, desperate to see even a flicker of joy cross my face. Every day that I fail at finding something at which to smile, I know I've deflated their hope once again and I hate that!

I honestly don't know if I'll die of natural causes or by my own hand. But please, God, that I find the will to be even a sliver of what You hoped for me.

Honesty is such a lonely word.

5:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home