STAR*BRIAN STAR*BRIAN: Church or Jail *

Talking points on current events

Friday, June 03, 2005

Church or Jail

A District Judge in Kentucky is offering offenders the option to go to church rather than jail.

While I believe that church can be a healing and nurturing place, it is not the place to serve time for a crime. This is like being sent to your room as a kid. Gee, my room was nice enough and I barely remember why I might have been sent there.

Judge Michael Caperton is also coming under fire from civil rights groups claiming he is establishing religion, or violating the so-called separation of church and state. Making the option, just that, an option, offenders have the choice to seek a church. Caperton also does not mandate a specific denomination, nor a specific church.

True we do have over crowding jails and rehab centers, and church can be a helpful thing, but allowing someone to skip out on a sentence for church is just not write in my book.

Off to my room I go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I don't think offenders should have a choice. When they commit a crime their rights go out the window. Send them to jail and make them serve their sentence the way they should. But this country might not have all this crime if we would bring in "an eye for an eye." Someone steals a loaf of bread they lose their hand. People would stop and rethink stealing or commiting any other crime because of the consequences they know they will face.

9:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home